The traditional surgical method of hair transplant using the FUE method (Follicular Unit Extraction) leaves a large linear scar on the back of the head (from the removal of a flap of skin with the hair bulbs intended for transplantation). This method requires a long recovery period. SmartGraft is an innovative technology entailing the collection of individual follicular bands (AFUE). The procedure is performed under local anesthesia, without pain or discomfort. At i-Hairmed, we offer Smart Graft treatments for both men and women — also to thicken or restore eyebrows.
What does the procedure look like?
The procedure is always preceded by consultation and qualification. The initial qualification can be conducted online. As the transplant does not require hospitalization, it is performed in a one-day procedure in our clinic.
- The first step is shaving an area at the back of the head. Depending on the length of your hair, small sections can be shaved to hide the donor area for the procedure.
- Then local anesthesia is applied to the area from which the transplants will be taken.
- The doctor gently collects transplants using the SmartGraft device — an instrument equipped with tiny rotary tips that remove individual groups of follicles.
- SmartGraft allows immediate collection, counting, and storage of collected units in a sterile, temperature-controlled solution. This promotes graft survival (98%) and improves their ability to grow back, which improves results.
- After collecting all the transplants, the implant site is prepared with local anesthesia. The doctor carefully creates tiny holes for the implants, precisely profiling the future hair line. This part of the procedure is very important because the combination of the angle, density, and location of each transplant determines how natural the results will be and how well the patient will feel with the “new” hair.
- The patient may return home immediately after the procedure.
The average duration of a SmartGraft hair transplant procedure is approximately 4–6 hours.
Photo: Smart Graft
After the procedure
After the transplantation, tiny holes (less than 1 mm in diameter) remain on the skin. This area heals within a few days and, meanwhile, cold compresses can be applied. The patient should also be careful with skin hygiene by using mild shampoos (e.g., for children) and refrain from pool visits. Most patients can return to work and full activity the next day.
After a hair transplant, the hair grows at a natural rate, and thus undergoes a full growth cycle — from the anagen phase to the telogen. This means that the first hair will appear at the transplant site after 2–3 months, with the final result visible after about 12–16 months.
The SmartGraft transplant is a therapy that allows you to rebuild hair:
- in androgenetic alopecia
- lost as a result of injuries such as post-surgical scars — The procedure also allows you to hide the scar resulting after previously performed surgical strip transplantation.
- for thin and heavily thinned hair — e.g., in women
- in the absence or thinning of hair on the chin or eyebrows and basically on every other area of the body
- faster healing with virtually no discomfort
- shorter time spent in the treatment chair
- the method is ideal for both men and women
- no need to shave your head with a razor before collecting transplants
- more hair transplant options (body, face, eyebrows)
- better survival of collected follicles until implantation
- natural results without scars
- the possibility of taking transplants from other parts of the body — e.g., from the chest, back, or face
The most common contraindications for surgery are
- alopecia areata
- blood coagulation disorders
- allergy to agents used under local anesthesia
- severe kidney, liver, or cardiovascular diseases
from 10 PLN